Post- Judgment Modification

Morristown, NJ family law attorneys helping clients with post-judgement motions after divorce in Roxbury, Flanders and Hopatcong

Roxbury Post-Judgment Modification Attorneys

Often circumstances contemplated while parties are undergoing a divorce do not occur as planned.  When life’s changes are substantial it is sometimes possible for former spouses subject to a Property Settlement Agreement or court order to obtain a modification.  At The Darling Law Firm we are ready to listen to your situation and help your understand the proofs you will be required to show a substantial change of circumstances rising to the level necessary for a court ordered modification of an Order or Agreement.

Any aspect of a divorce may be subject to post-judgment modification but the most common are child support, child custody and alimony.  It is exceedingly rare that a court will grant a redistribution of marital assets except when fraud is proven.

Former spouses considering post-judgment modifications should consider the effects modification of one part of a property settlement agreement may have on others.  For example, a modification of alimony often results in a modification in child support.  At The Darling Law Firm we have the knowledge to guide you effectively through the process of achieving or combating a modification in order to protect your rights.  We know Jersey law and how to make a compelling argument on our client’s behalf.

Change of Circumstances

In order to modify alimony, custody or parenting time the party seeking the modification will need to show a “substantial change in circumstances.”  What makes a change “substantial” is largely subject to the discretion of the Judge hearing your matter as long as the ruling remains within the strictures of case law.

Changed Circumstances frequently giving rise to a finding of changed circumstances warranting a post-judgment modification include:

  • Retirement;
  • A child going away to college;
  • Relocation for a job;
  • Long-term job loss or wage cuts;
  • A parent relocating out of state with the children with a good chance of giving them a better life; and
  • An injury or disability permanently affecting earning capacity.

Obtaining Post-Judgment Modifications in Northern NJ

In order to serve clients throughout Northern New Jersey we have offices in Morris County and Bergen County, New Jersey.  We serve clients in Morris, Sussex, Warren,  Bergen, Passaic Union, Hudson and Essex Counties.  The Darling Law Firm is your Northern, NJ Post-Judgment Modification law firm.

If you are visiting this webpage, now is the time to call 973-584-6200 today to schedule an initial consultation or click here to e-mail us protect your rights.

Forms of payment accepted:  Cash, check, traveler’s check, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, money order and Paypal.